PISA in Flanders (Belgium)
An exploration of the Flemish education system may be interesting, since the PISA results show that Flanders is a top-performer in reading literacy, mathematical literacy and scientific literacy. Unfortunately, we do not succeed in providing both high quality and equitable learning outcomes (social equity).
- In 2000 Flanders participated for the first time in PISA. The Flemish sample consisted of 124 schools in which 3.890 15-year-olds were tested.
- In 2003, slightly more than 5.000 students from 162 different school took part in the survey.
- In 2006, the representative Flemish sample consisted of 5.124 students from 162 schools.
- In 2009, 158 Flemish schools participated with a total of 4.596 students surveyed.
- In 2012, 5970 students from 174 different schools were included.
The Flemish sample is always completely representative with respect to educational network, educational form and subject choice.